I’ve never been a huge fan of Oreos, but my best friend in high school loved them. She always had a bag of Double Stuffed around, and few weekends passed when I didn’t have at least one or two. (Oh, and it had to be the Double Stuffed — no regular Oreos for us!)
These cookies remind me of fun, Oreo-filled times, but I did want to expand beyond the classic crowd pleaser. I think these cookies will work well with any filling, from chocolate ganache to ice cream. I used a peanut butter filling (recipe follows), but if the classic Oreo is what you’re after, try a white chocolate ganache.
(Oh, and I’ll try for a better picture next time. There will be a next time!)
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
adapted from Retro Desserts by Wayne Brachman
Oven Temp.: 375°
Approx. Bake Time: 8-10 min.
Yields: about 12 sandwich cookies
1/2 c. + 2 tbsp. flour
1/4 c. cocoa, Dutch processed
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
5 tbsp. butter, softened
2 tbsp. beaten egg
– In a food processor (or stand mixer) combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the butter and egg and pulse until a cohesive mass forms. (It will first look like pebbles, then form a big ball.)
– Scoop rounded teaspoons of dough onto a greased or lined cookie sheet. With a spatula (or tool of your choice), flatten cookies slightly.
– Bake in a preheated oven. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for a minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
– Assembly: Match cookies of similar size. Spoon or pipe desired amount of filling onto the center of a cookie. Lightly press the second cookie over the filling, working the filling to the edge.
Peanut Butter Filling
1/4 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1 tbsp. butter, softened
1 tbsp. heavy cream
– Using an electric mixer, combine the peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter. Add the cream and beat until fluffy.
– You may double this if you want a lot of filling. (Double Stuffed!)